Explore the Roman Hadrian's Wall
Enjoy Northumberland's stunning castles, unspoilt countryside and coastline.
Day trips to Durham, Newcastle, Edinburgh and the Lake District
Places to Visit
- Nearby Towns - Haydon Bridge, Hexham market town near Corbridge, Haltwhistle.
- Hadrian's Wall - Walk the Hadrian's Wall National Trail. See Vindolanda, Housesteads and Chesters Roman sites.
- Historic Castles - Alnwick Castle, Lindisfarne Castle, Bamburgh Castle, Chillingham Castle in Border Reivers country.
Coastline - Large unspoilt stretches of white sands in a region
of strong Christian Heritage where you can visit Holy
Island and the Farne
Islands nature reseve.
- Northumberland National Park - A nature reserve stretching from Hadrian's Wall to the Cheviot Hills with superb walking scenery, a variety of wildlife and many historic sites.
- Kielder Water - The largest man-made lake in Europe, with red squirrels, deer, rare birds and a haven for fishing, boating, riding and watersports.
- Day Trips - Durham City and Cathedral, Newcastle and Gateshead Metro Centre, Carlisle, Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
- Fishing - We arrange private fishing by arrangement and there are a wealth of beautiful Northumbrian rivers available.
- Walking - Walk the Hadrian's Wall National Trail. Challenging long and short distance walks across hills and uncrowded beaches.
- Golfing - Less than 20 minutes drive away are the International Golf Course at Slaley Hall, contender for the Ryder Cup 2009, and the prestigious Matfen Hall, both offering a mix of challenges for all skill levels.
- Cycling - Enjoy cycle tours on virtually traffic-free lanes, forest roads and bridleways
- Bird Watching - Upland, lowland and coastal species.
Location photography by Graeme Peacock